Labels

Friday 30 September 2011

Migration : Is the grass greener at the other side of the fence?

During a recent forum, Singapore's founding father & ex-PM Lee Kuan Yew shared that Singapore required 60,000 immigrants to replace our aging population.  Our little red dot Singapore can probably absorb only 20,000 to 25,000.  What was not said is that many thousands more PR applicants were unsuccessful.

Why are there such overwhelming number of people interested to migrate to Singapore? As a cosmopolitan city state with world class infrastructures, strong economy, healthy employment rate, low crime rate, top education system...etc, many will probably consider this is the land of milk & honey.

Yet, each year, thousands of Singaporeans choose to walk away from the land milk & honey.  By year end, I will be added to this seldom reported statistic.

So, is this a case of grass is always greener at the other side of the fence?

I am fully aware of the challenges that I will have to grapple with in the new land.  I will need to start all over again in re-establishing a new social network, rebuilding my career, adjusting to varied & extreme weather...etc.

Perhaps this is the price I am willing to pay to achieve the freedom to experience life in a different way, to achieve self actualization, to grow & bond with my family in more wholesome environment ...etc.

Singapore has given me a solid foundation and provided me the opportunity to achieve all the physical and material well being.  In many ways, I have almost reached the peak of my corporate ladder.  I have experienced the high life, eaten the best foods in top restaurants, flown in the 1st class airline, traveled across the Asian regions & been to places where normal tourist will have no access, stayed in the 6 stars hotels, rubbed shoulder with high-profile executives, CFOs & CEOs...etc

But Singapore cannot give me the space to have quiet enjoyment,  the freedom to express and make mistakes, the time to grow spiritually, mentally, socially...etc..  The feeling is almost stifling as each day is slotted away chasing  after the never ending deadlines.  The strive for excellence is always never enough.   There is constantly a need to put up different masks because the system and environment are unforgiving.    We are perpetually on our toes and somehow we seem to lose our humanity......

Will my new home give me what I cannot find in Singapore?  I am mindful of the horror stories of immigrants that did not make it in their new country.  Even for the many immigrants that made it to the land of milk & honey, many are still struggling to be accepted, to make a decent living, to keep pace with excellence....

The important point is not whether the grass is greener at the other side of the fence, but whether we are prepared to water our grass at whichever side of the fence we are standing.

9 comments:

  1. My family and I are starting our new life in Sydney, Australia this November. It will be a clear break and I am looking forward to it every. Good luck to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    This is the first time I stumbled onto your blog. If u are migrating to Aus, drop me a e-mail. I've been here for nearly 3 yrs. Will be able to help and offer some humble advise. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the best to you and your family!

    I'm sure you and your family will have a much more enriching life!

    I moved to Canada 4.5 years ago and I've never looked back since. I get to enjoy work-life balance which is almost non-existant when I was working in Singapore. Although now I don't earn as much as I used to, I still live a relatively comfortable life and I get to persue my hobbies. Life is so much more fulfilling!!! It is very little material things to give up on in relation to the personal experience and growth I get in return. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi James,

    You are such a prolific writer. Down-to-earth and sincere. No personal wellness nor personal excellence piece can beat this. I have been encouraged by your works. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gals & Guys

    Thank you so much for all your comments and encouragement. I will be going north, not south. The grass at both places and at where ever you are, including S'pore, are greener because we will be watering our grass everyday. Good luck & best wishes to all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi James,

    Welcome to Canada. If you are coming to Vancouver, you are welcome to stay at my humble home. You will find we have better Singapore food than those in Singapore cooked by FT.

    Nevertheless, whichever part of Canada you are going, we wish you the best of luck.

    God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cheong

    Thank you so much for your kind invitation. I will be going to Toronto. Perhaps I will go over to Vancouver some day or if you do drop by to Toronto, we can have a S'pore gathering. I am sure we will have excellent S'pore food, wonderful surrounding and fresh air!

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi James, could be difficult at first but press on. Begin with a plan. Most people moved and expect status quo. This is never the case.

    The fight to stay here makes me feel more alive. Just asking, why Toronto? I am being lured by BC. The houses look a lot better. I am targeting to own one in Chilliwack Mountain by 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi LordAlfa

    BC is definitely beautiful. But it is expensive, especially the property. I believe Toronto is more bustling. Probably easier to settle in after coming from cosmopolitan S'pore. There is also possibilities across the border in USA/NY. But I definitely hope to move over to BC someday. This is the beauty of Canada..so much to explore & experience.

    ReplyDelete