Labels

Friday 4 November 2011

Will I miss Singapore?

As I make my final countdown to D-day when I will leave Singapore for good, the nostalgic feeling started to creep in.  After all, Singapore is my birth place and I have lived here for almost 5 decades.  I have explored almost every corner of this small island.  I was a scout during my school days and had hiked and camped  around the country.  During my army days, I had trained in remote parts of Singapore, some of which were not open to public. After I came out to work, I was in marketing jobs and had visited clients in industrial estates and posh offices all over Singapore.

I have witnessed the miraculous transformation of Singapore from a messy dirty backward country to a beautiful cosmopolitan garden city.

I grew up in the countryside where our toilet was only a shed with a hole & 2 wooden planks for squatting.  There was no flushing system and the shits just piled up.  We could literally see germs crawling all over the shits and there was certainly no way to avoid the stench unless we were prepared to be suffocated.   My family reared chickens & pigs for living.  Even as young kids, we had to help our parents to feed the chickens, collect the eggs, dispose chicken drops.   We did not have air-condition but were fortunate to have a black & white TV.  Telephone was a luxury.  I could still remember vividly the first time I used a the phone when I was a young boy.  I was so excited and when the line got through, I asked proudly to speak to "Ah Chay (meaning father in hokkien).  My cousin laughed & made fun of me for expecting the person on the other line to know who my Ah Chay was.  I was basically a country bumpkin.

While I did not have the luxury of modern day technologies, I led a spartan but carefree life.   I did not have to worry too much about school works except during exams.  I had so much fun climbing trees, plucking rambutans, picking durians, catching fishes and spiders, kicking football, playing in the rain with paper boats.....etc.  My toys were things like marbles, discarded boxes, matchboxes...etc

Over the last 3-4 decades, Singapore has completely transformed. My children now do not even have the opportunity to see a rambutan tree, a durian tree or even a rubber tree, not to mention to climb a tree.  They would probably not even dare to touch a chicken, not to mention slaughtering one which I am proud to have done as a child.   Their toys are computers and their hobbies are computer games.  They are under tremendous pressure to perform academically.  While they have excelled academically having obtained excellent national examination results and successfully entered one of the top secondary schools in Singapore, I am not sure if that is all that matters in their growing up years.  Somehow I feel that they may have missed a part of their precious childhood life that I had the privilege to go through.

While Singapore is now transformed into a beautiful island state, somehow the feeling is that these are all so artificial.  It is like a facade.   Life seems to revolve round physical and material things.  Perhaps the small island and a growing immigrant population make the place even more congested and stiffing.   The work demand, in the name of excellence and world class standard, is like a pressure cooker without an outlet.  Nobody knows when it will explode.  There is really no time to care, to love or to smell the roses.  Although there is time for coffee, but it is only to help to stimulate the weary mind and get it to over work again.  This is perhaps what progress is all about.

So, I do not think I will miss Singapore, at least not in the short term.  I am escaping and taking a long deserved break with my spouse.  We are looking forward to walk hand-in-hand and enjoy our first autumn in the midst of beautiful falling golden autumn leaves. I hope my children will rediscover a part of their missed childhood.

But I am mindful that one day, we may just want to go back to our roots.........I am certainly not cutting it off.

13 comments:

  1. i really enjoy this one:) thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read abt your decision to move to Toronto, Canada. I need however, to inform you that while you may be free to come back to Singapore anytime, your children, especially your son, may face difficulties with the authorities. In my line of work, I have come across many who have migrated to another country with their parents when they were young and now wish to come back to S'pore to work as adults. Such applications will be stopped by the authorities. There might a slim chance for your daughter, but absolutely none for your son.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear sir, I emphatise with your writing and your feelings. I can say this for sure, you have about 1-2 years before you will head back to Singapore. Home is really where the heart is. No matter how lousy you feel about the country which has been transformed beyond your recognition, you will still go back after a few years of "honeymoon" outside.
    Look at me, 10 years abroad, but everyday dreaming of going back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous, Let God decide..the future of our sons and daughters..Let HIM have the final say..HE is a God of every detail in our lives, be it working in Singapore or in Toronto..Kayangmo, perhaps, let us waste no time dreaming..actualize it if you want to go back, do it..if you can't enjoy where you are..you are where you are for a reason..Blessings:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Channel, no disrespect to your belief, but I operate on Ronald Reagan's age-old wisdom when he was dealing with the Soviets, which is "trust, but verify".

    My sole purpose is to highlight the repercussions of parents' decisions on their childrens' future. Unlike how other countries operate, the (mean spirited) S'pore Govt does not take kindly to people who leave the country for good, no matter how much they have contributed when they were formerly known as Singaporeans.

    This is especially so for a male teenager who have not served his national service. I can categorically state that there is absolutely no chance for these males to come back to S'pore even as a tourist, much less, to find work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anonymous - you are incorrect to say,"there might a slim chance for your daughter, but absolutely none for your son." for James children to return to Singapore. I am an ex-Singaporean living in Canada with three children, all born in Singapore. My daughter and second son who left Singapore when he was eleven years old have NO, repeat, NO problem returning to Singapore. In fact they have visited Singapore many times. My eldest son, who left a few months after eleven years old had a bit of problem but not something that cannot be resolved by hiring a lawyer. FYI, I am not the exception, many other ex-Singaporeans' children did not face the kind of problem that Anonymous said. For James, google "Singaporeans in Canada" to find websites of Singaporeans living in Canada for help and advice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Anonymous..thanks for sharing from your what you know..yes indeed..let not our children be the victims of our ill decision..in order to ensure that, we can only do so by keeping our faith in Jesus. As of now, I'm not sure if they are going back. If Singapore chooses to close its doors to them, perhaps that's God's way of telling them to find their niche elsewhere. (But I suppose if Singapore is progressive and evolving, I don't see no reason why that should happen..) Also, if they can contribute meaningfully to society in Canada or elsewhere, why not?

    Hi Wing, you are such a great encourager..we have been blessed by your encouragement. If you have the time, do visit my blog too and give me your comments. (http://www.buildingdeep.blogspot.com)

    Thank you and blessings:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to Canada James and family,
    With an open mind you will find happiness. Few of us are blessed with having the best of everything but if we make the best out of what we have, we will find true peace and happiness.
    All my three children went through universities paying their own fees by working part-time. Now in their early thirties, they are gainfully employed and bought their own homes without any financial help from parents.
    My wife and I are in our mid sixties and retired yet we built our own house and do ALL house chores without maid or part-time help. In addition we do volunteer work at hospital. Some Singapore friends said we have tough lives but we thank God for our health and blessings.
    If in Vancouver, please contact us and you are welcome to stay at our humble home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Anonymous, Thank you for your sharing. I am well aware that my son will have a problem returning to S'pore if he does not do his national service. I have applied the exit permit for him & do hope that he will return at least to fulfill his NS obligation. I believe it is good for him as well. Basically, I wish to give my children the option to choose the route that they would like to take eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ kayangmo, I am happy for you that you dream everyday of returning to Singapore. May your dream comes through soon. I am not sure if our situation is similar. For now, I am looking forward to a new chapter of my life in my new country.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Channel, You have been my most ardent readers & supporters, and for that I am eternally grateful

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Wing, You are such a supportive brother! I am so encouraged by your comments & your blogs. I certainly hope and look forward to visit you one day. Take care bro!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I couldn't help myself but to leave a comment, after stumbling upon your blog. What you wrote was so moving, I almost teared up!

    I am Singaporean and living in the US. Having only been here less than 2 years, I miss my family , friends and the life I left behind in Singapore terribly. Don't get me wrong though, my time here in America has been interesting, and sometimes I see it as the biggest adventure in my life.

    All the very best to you and your family. I am certain you will find good friends and much happiness in Canada, it's such a beautiful place.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete